Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 7-8 maraschino cherries cut in half
- 1 large can of pineapple slices drained
- 4oz unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice you can use juice from canned pineapple if it’s real juice and not syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
Whisk the cake mix with the eggs, pineapple juice, vegetable oil and applesauce until smooth.
Place parchment paper in the cake tin (cut to size). then spray lightly with baking spray.
Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and start stirring. When brown sugar and butter start to bubble, pour evenly into both cake pans.
Place pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture and half a maraschino cherry (cut side up) in the center.
Pour half of the prepared cake batter into each cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes or the cake is done. Turn the cake onto a plate or