The directions should be followed precisely in order to achieve the perfect crisp and delicate texture. Dust liberally with powdered sugar while the cookies are still warm, and then again once more before serving.
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream (I use reduced fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon each lemon & orange zest
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- up to 2 Tablespoons additional flour
- 1 quart of oil for frying (safflower or canola)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl using an electric hand mixer on high, beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until thick and lemon colored – about a minute.
- On low speed, stir in sour cream, vanilla, zests & flour.