Time consuming but it is well worth it! The brown sugar and bacon grease combine beautifully and give such a great taste. f your looking for something really special or you have a lot of guests coming over and you want to serve something delicious then you need to make these oh so delicious bacon wrapped smokies (little sausages ) with brown sugar and butter. I made this today and I almost didn’t get one. They ate them up so fast that a huge pan of them were gone before I even realized it and I had to think quick and cook up some pizzas I had on hand. Some of my friends tonight said these little bacon wrapped smokies were one of the best things they had ever tasted in their life. Now that’s saying something isn’t it.
1 pound Bacon, Cut Into Thirds
1 pound Lil’ Smokies (small sausages)
1 stick Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add ketchup and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Next, spread a layer of mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.