How to make Baked Broccoli Cheese Balls
– 1 1/2 heaping cups fresh broccoli florets
– 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 4 ounces Velveeta, cut into small chunks
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
– 2 1/4 cups Panko crumbs, divided
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– Vegetable or Canola oil
– Steam broccoli until slightly softened. Let cool.
Finely chop broccoli. You want the pieces to be 1/4-inch or less. Place in a large bowl.
– Add cheese, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup Panko crumbs, and 1 egg to bowl with broccoli. Stir well.
– Use your hands to shape mixture into balls using about a rounded tablespoon for each ball. You should get 12-14.
– Place balls on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
– Place flour in a bowl.
– Place the 2 lightly beaten eggs in a second bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon water.
– Place remaining 2 cups Panko crumbs in a third bowl.
– Pour about 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Heat oil to 375 degrees. For best results use a thermometer.
– Remove broccoli balls from refrigerator, coat in flour, dip in egg mixture, and then coat in Panko crumbs.
– Fry about 4 balls at a time cooking until golden brown on all sides.