I don’t know where I got this recipe, but I have been using it for well over 20 years. Works well in a slow cooker.
This stuffed cabbage rolls recipe is cabbage leaves filled with beef and rice, coated in a homemade tomato sauce and baked to perfection. A comfort food classic that’s hearty, delicious and simple to make.
HOW DO YOU MAKE STUFFED CABBAGE?
The first step is to make your filling. The filling is a combination of ground beef, cooked rice, onions, garlic, egg and seasonings. Everything gets mixed together to form the base of your dish.
The meat mixture gets wrapped up inside cooked cabbage leaves, then the cabbage rolls are layered in a baking dish on top of homemade tomato sauce and baked. This dish takes over an hour to bake because to want to make sure your meat is cooked through, so plan accordingly!
HOW DO YOU GET CABBAGE LEAVES OFF THE HEAD?
If you try to remove raw cabbage leaves from the cabbage head, you’ll want to slice off the root end and very carefully peel the leaves off to avoid tearing. Sometimes tearing is inevitable no matter how careful you are, so I’ve found the best method is to cook the head of cabbage first. Cut off the root end, then submerge your cabbage head in a pot of boiling water until the leaves are tender and can easily be peeled away.
TIPS FOR STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
– You’ll need to cut thick part of the cabbage leaves away before you start rolling them up. I’ve found it’s easiest to take a paring knife and cut a V-shape out of the bottom of each leaf to remove the tough rib.
– Place the cabbage rolls seam side down in the baking dish.
– The homemade tomato sauce does contain brown sugar and vinegar, as cabbage rolls are traditionally baked in sweet and sour style sauce. If you don’t want to use brown sugar, you can omit it, but the flavor won’t be as authentic.
– Cabbage rolls can be assembled and stored covered in the fridge for up to 8 hours before you plan to bake them.
– Best Stuffed Cabbages Recipe
– This stuffed cabbage rolls recipe is cabbage leaves filled with beef and rice, coated in a homemade tomato sauce and baked to perfection. A comfort food classic that’s hearty, delicious and simple to make.
– 2 heads of cabbage
– 2 lbs ground beef (or veal/beef/pork mix)
– 3 cups cooked rice
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp garlic
– 1 tbsp parsley
– 2 slices diced onion
– 1 -15 oz. can tomato sauce
– 1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
– 1/4 cup tomato sauce (in meat)
– Salt & Pepper to taste
– Put a head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, and peel off the cabbage leaves one at a time.
– Cut off the rough part on the end of the cabbage leaf with a sharp knife.
– Mix all ingredients together except the 15 oz can of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and put a small amount (size of a sausage) on a cabbage leaf, and roll up like a fajita and place seam side down in a casserole dish. I put tomato sauce and a cabbage leaf or 2 on the bottom of the casserole dish so the Halupky won’t burn.
– Pour crushed tomatoes over Halupkys.
– Cover and bake approximately 75 minutes at 375º.Turn oven down to 325º and bake for approximately 90 more minutes until cabbage is tender. Baste every hour.
– Serve with tomato sauce.