Ingredients for Meatloaf:
1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef, see shopping tip
1½ slices whole wheat bread, remove crusts (I used Milton’s Multigrain bread)
1 cup onions, chopped
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy mustard or yellow mustard
2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef.
- To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
- To the beef, add the bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste. Using your hands, mix together all the ingredients.
- Place the meat mixture on the baking sheet and free form a loaf by hand. It should be about 12”x4.”
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spread all over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 10 slices (2 slices for each serving)
Shopping Tip:Happily most supermarkets sell lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s.
Serving Tip:While the meatloaf is in the oven make a yummy potato side dish. Try Dairy Free Skinny Mashed Potatoes,Fingerling Roasted Potatoes or Skinny Fries.