– Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors in the most delicious, easy to make and comforting potato dish.
– 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
– 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 4 cups whole milk
– 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
– 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 5-6 medium potatoes)
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
– Grease a 9×13 inches deep baking dish and set aside.
– In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
– Add flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is pale golden for about 5 minutes.
– Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk, cook for a few minutes and add the remaining 2 cups of milk, whisk until smooth. Cook mixture stirring constantly until it starts to boil.
– Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and is very creamy, about 8 – 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
– Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese until melted.
– Mix the potatoes with the béchamel sauce and transfer the mixture to the baking dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and transfer the dish into the oven.
– Bake for 1 hour or 1 hour and 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
– Serve and enjoy!