10 Facts about shrimp :
1. Shrimps have 16 photoreceptors and can see well, they can also move each eye independently.
2. There are many similarities between a shrimp and prawn, however shrimps have claws on two of their five pairs of legs while prawns have claws on three of their five pairs of legs. Shrimps are generally smaller than prawns and considered marine creatures. Meanwhile, the majority of prawns live in freshwater.
3. The body of a shrimp is divided into two parts: the thorax and the head. The cephalothorax and a narrow abdomen connect the two components.
4. A shrimp is protected by a hard exterior shell, the gills allow the shrimp to get oxygen from the surrounding waters.
5. Shrimp offer minimal threat when it comes to consuming other animals and plants. They are not typically predators.
6. A shrimp’s heart is located inside the bottom of its head.
7. Shrimp can quickly adapt to new conditions in the water, accounting for their vast numbers in every ocean and region on earth, except Antarctica.
8. It’s often asked is shrimp a fish? The answer is shrimps are variety of decapod crustaceans and not a type of fish.
9. Both shrimp and prawn are common names and not scientific names, both are closely related to lobster, crabs and crayfish.
10. The scientific name of shrimp is “caridea”, within the order of decapod crustaceans.
2 cans (14 oz (420 ml) each) stewed tomatoes
1/4 pound (120 g) reduced-fat smoked sausage, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 pound (240 g) fresh sliced okra
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt, to taste
3 cups (750 ml) cooked rice, warm
In 6-quart (6 l) slow cooker, combine all ingredients, except okra, shrimp, salt, and rice. Mix well.
Close cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6-7 hours, adding okra during last 30 minutes and shrimp during last 10 minutes.
Turn off slow cooker. Serve shrimp and sausage mixture with salt. Serve over cooked warm rice.