With a few simple ingredients and a little muscle, go homemade with your own classic dumplings. Whether you pair it with a tomato sauce or pesto, potato gnocchi is a deliciously hearty pasta to serve up for any occasion.
for 2 servings
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for the water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour(190 g), extra to dust
- 2 tablespoons butter, for pan frying
- sage leaf
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cool salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce a potato. Drain the potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm.
- Using a peeler or your fingers, remove the skin from the potatoes. In a medium bowl, mash the potatoes until all lumps are gone. Add the salt and pepper and mix well. Make a well in the center of the potatoes and crack an egg into it. Whisk the eggs briefly. Then, using your hands, gently mix it into the potatoes until evenly distributed.