– A twist on classic Hobo Foil Packets using sausage instead of ground beef, and the standard carrots, onions, and thinly sliced potatoes. A truly comforting, filling, and hearty meal that’s great for a no-mess meal or campfire dinner!
– 1 package (14 oz; 392g) smoked beef and pork sausage, cut into coins
– 3 cups (435g) thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes
– 2 cups (3-4 large; 221g) thinly sliced carrots
– 1 large (223g) thinly sliced yellow onion
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 teaspoon EACH: Italian seasoning, dried basil, dried parsley
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, separated
– Serve with: ketchup, fresh herbs (optional)
– If you are using the oven, preheat it to 400 degrees F. If grilling, prepare the grill by heating to medium-high heat (425-450 degrees F.) Tear off four sheets of heavy-duty foil and lightly spritz with cooking spray. If you aren’t going to be doing this meal in foil packs (See Note 1), line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
– Cut the sausage into coins. Thinly slice the potatoes, about 1/8th inch thick. Thinly slice the carrots and cut large carrot coins in half. Thinly slice the yellow onion. Add the sausage, potatoes, carrots, and onion to a large bowl.
– Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of oil and all of the seasonings (Italian seasoning, dried basil, dried parsley, garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, and salt and pepper). Add salt and pepper to personal preference( I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Toss everything together until well combined.
– Divide the mixture evenly among the four prepared sheets of foil. Cut the butter into 1 tablespoon pieces and cut each tablespoon piece into 4 smaller pieces. Add four pieces of butter to the foil packs (1 tablespoon per foil pack). Seal the foil packs tightly so no air escapes, but do not double wrap the foil (only one sheet of foil per pack or the cook time will be off). To seal the foil packet, bring the short sides together in the middle and gently fold down to completely seal. Then, roll up the ends.
– Grill for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are fork tender (flip the foil packs at the halfway point). To bake foil packs, place foil packs on a sheet pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until veggies are fork tender. Campfire: add to hot coals and cook for 20-30 minutes. Be aware they can take up to 40-45 minutes depending on the actual coals temperature, actual thickness of cut veggies, outside temperatures, how many foil packs are on the coals, etc. There is great variance in cooking these over coals.