Homemade meatball subs
▢ 16 frozen meatballs or homemade below
▢ 2 cups pasta sauce or marinara sauce
▢ 4 hoagie rolls
▢ 4 tablespoons garlic butter
▢ 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
Meatballs (or use frozen meatballs if preferred)
▢ 1 pound lean ground beef
▢ 1 egg
▢ ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
▢ ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
▢ ½ teaspoon onion powder
▢ salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare meatballs as directed on package or for homemade meatballs, combine all meatball ingredients.
- Roll into 1″ balls and place on a parchment lined pan. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place cooked meatballs in a saucepan with pasta sauce and simmer covered 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread garlic butter inside each roll. Heat broiler and broil rolls until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Arrange rolls in a 9×13 baking dish. Place 4 meatballs in each roll and top with a little bit of sauce and cheese.
- Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with additional sauce for dipping if desired.