– Swiss steak is a vintage recipe enjoying a resurgence with home cooks. It uses few ingredients and it is easy to put together. But it’s still an elegant meal to serve for special occasions or when company is coming. Our recipe uses a browned round steak that is cooked with tomatoes and a few basic seasonings, letting all the flavors marry. We include variations for Swiss steak in the oven, the Crockpot (or slow cooker), and the Instant Pot.
– 3 pounds round steak or sirloin steak
– ½ cup flour for dipping
– 1 teaspoon pepper
– ¼-½ teaspoon chili powder optional
– 2-3 Tablespoons oil for frying
– 2 onions cut in slivers or large chunks
– 56 ounces whole tomatoes 2 large cans (or 1 can diced tomatoes and one can whole tomatoes)
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Preheat oven to 350°F.
– Mix together flour, pepper, and chili powder, if using. Using meat mallet, pound beef thin (about ½ inch). Dredge meat in flour on both sides. Discard remaining flour.
– On medium high heat, add 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet and brown meat for 1 minute on each side. – Add meat to large casserole dish (cut meat to fit if required). Brown in batches, adding oil as needed.
– Add 1 Tablespoon oil and onions to skillet. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned (onions may not be cooked through). Add onions on top of meat.
– Add canned tomatoes, covering meat and onions. If meat is not covered, add additional canned tomatoes or beef broth to cover meat. Add salt and pepper to taste and chili peppers if using.
– Cover and bake for 2-3 hours or until tender. (Three hours is best!) Serve over mashed potatoes.
– Optional cooking method: Preheat oven to 275°F. Double recipe, leaving pieces of meat slightly larger. Bake for 6-8 hours.
– Slow cooker method: Use 5-6 pounds of meat, and double remaining ingredients. A browned meat, onions, and tomatoes to Crock Pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Make a cornstarch slurry (3 Tablespoons water and 3 Tablespoons cornstarch). Slowly add to liquid in slow cooker, stirring carefully, until reaches desired thickness.