JAMAICAN OXTAIL RECIPE
This delicious Jamaican Oxtails recipe is an excellent Caribbean stew for the weekend. amazing flavor and tender oxtail and butter beans that are cooked to perfection. Make it in the Pressure Cooker.
- PREP TIME 20 mins
- COOK TIME 45 mins
- TOTAL TIME 1 hr 5 mins
JAMAICAN OXTAIL RECIPE
- 2.5 lbs oxtails
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-spice
- 1 tbsp browning
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 2 carrot chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet or pepper seeds and membrane removed and chopped
- 1/16oz can Butter Beans drained drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- clean oxtails with water and vinegar and pat dry. Covering oxtails with brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, all-spice, and browning and rub into oxtails.
- Set Pressure Cooker on High Sauté and once hot, join vegetable oil. Next, join your bigger oxtail parts to the pot, flat side down about ¼ inch apart, and brown on each side.
- Transfer oxtail after browning and put in a pan.
- Deglaze your pressure cooker by combining about 2 Tbsp of beef broth to the insert. Take a wooden spoon and deglaze your pan by separating the brown bits at the bottom. Then combine your yellow onions, green onions, carrots, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper. Mix and sauté for about 6 minutes or till the onions have softened.
- Combine dried thyme, oxtails, remaining beef broth, and ketchup to the pressure cooker insert. Press “Cancel” on your Instant Pot. Seal and cook on high for 50 minutes. Once the timer is done, let the pressure cooker naturally release.
- Once all pressure has released, open the lid and transfer oxtails and vegetables, leaving the liquid behind. Turn Pressure Cooker on sauté. Once the liquid begins to simmer, create a corn starch slurry by combining corn starch and water in a separate bowl.
- Stir into the simmering liquid. Add drained butter beans into the pressure cooker and let to cook for about 6 minutes, till liquid is slightly thickened and butterbeans are warmed
join oxtails and vegetables back to the pressure cooker. Serve and enjoy 🙂
Notes on Pressure Cooker OxtailsIt’s best if all your oxtails are medium-sized oxtails that are similar in size. If you can’t get them the same size, no worries. It’ll still work. Oxtail that is too fatty will lead to the fatty gravy. You want some fat, just not too much fat. If your oxtail is extremely fatty, use a paring knife to remove some of the excess fat. Scotch Bonnet is typically used for this recipe. If you can’t find a scotch bonnet, a habanero can be substituted. You can also use about 1-2 tsp of this scotch bonnet pepper sauce.