YES I know, I know, it is traditionally made with the rice in the pot. But here’s the thing, This is a giant pot of food. And unless you are serving 8 people tonight for dinner, you’re going to have leftovers. And you know what that rice is going to do to that delicious jambalaya? Dry it out.
I’ve cooked jambalaya the traditional way and without rice in the pot and I can tell you that I love it this way significantly more. I make my rice buttery and slightly salted before pouring this over the rice and just give it a few minutes to marry the flavors together.
I’ve never had a single person who has actually eaten the recipe complain once they’ve tried it. And leftovers are a breeze because theres still liquid in the pot!
Easy Jambalaya made with Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille Sausage in under 45 minutes. Served over rice or rice cooked with the jambalaya for one pot meal.
- 2 chicken breastsskinless, boneless, cut into chunks
- 1 pound andouille sausage linkssliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 large onionchopped
- 1 red bell pepperfinely chopped
- 2 stalks celerythinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoondried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoonCajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper
- 1 pound shrimp13-15 count
1. Add all the ingredients except the shrimp into the slow cooker and stir.
2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours (high for 3-4 hours), in the last 15 minutes add in the shrimp.
3. Serve over rice.