With a flaky, buttery crust and rich filling, this Kentucky Chocolate Walnut Pie is a state favorite, especially on Derby Day! It’s amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side!
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare and roll out a pie crust, then transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and crimp the edges of the crust.
- Add the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips to the pie shell.
- In a large bowl, whisk the granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and salt, then pour into the pie crust over the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the pie is looking set and doesn’t jiggle on top. You may need to cover the edges of the crust with a pie guard or foil if it is browning too much before the middle looks done.
- Cool for 2 hours before slicing and serving.