When I was young, my mother never cooked meatloaf, and I was inquisitive about tasting it. I finally tasted it in a restaurant and loved it. So I started to cook this dish and came up with this personalized version, the one I love above everything else.
Ready in : 1h25min
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 3 slices of bread, toasted and crumbled
- 7 butter crackers, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ½ tbsp. sour cream
- 1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (398 ml) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup of milk (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
Steps of preparation
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, garlic, beef, crumbled bread, crumbled crackers, egg, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and half the can of tomato sauce. Add 1 tsp. At a time, milk until the mixture is just moist but not liquid. Press into the bottom of a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400°F (200°C) and continue baking for 15 minutes, until the meatloaf reaches a temperature of 160°F (70°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce with the ketchup and spread it over the meatloaf. Bake for another 10 minutes.