Traditional Polish paczki – yeasted doughnuts filled with fruit preserves and rolled in sugar, popular on Fat Thursday and Fat Tuesday.
- 1 1/2 cups milk (warm, but no warmer than 110 F)
- 2 packages active dry yeast (remember to proof yeast before you begin)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces butter (room-temperature)
- 1 large egg (room-temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room-temperature)
- 1 tablespoon brandy (or rum)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-gallon oil (for deep frying)
- Optional: granulated sugar
- Optional: confectioners’ sugar
- Optional: fruit paste (or jam, for filling)
Please continue to Next Page (>) for the full cooking instructions.