Quinoa has been the latest rage lately! It has been everywhere, everywhere, everywhere! Quinoa is pretty awesome if they think about it. It has the highest amount of protein of any grain and has no gluten! It is a great grain to incorporate into our diet in general, but is even more important if you have a gluten intolerance, are working out, or are just trying to watch what you are eating.
Quinoa is easy to add to any recipe and I have seen a lot of them lately! Here’s the thing I haven’t seen, quinoa recipes that KIDS would love! So I present to you Quinoa and Bean Sloppy Joes! What kid do you know that doesn’t love sloppy joes?
These sloppy joes are a little different not just because they are meat-free, but also because they don’t just have the traditional tomato sauce flavor. These have the tomato sauce, ketchup flavor, but they also have a nice smokey barbecue flavor. Your kids will love my sloppy joes because they are just as messy and fun as the traditional ones, but better!!
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Quinoa and Bean Sloppy Joes
- ½ cup dry quinoa cooked according to directions on the package
- 1- 15 ounce can of black beans drained but not rinsed
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (I used my homemade barbecue
- ½ cup ketchup unsweetened
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar depending on how tangy you want it (SEE NOTE)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ medium-sized yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 8 oz. pack of grated cheddar cheddar
- 3 stalks of green onion chopped
- 6 whole-grain buns or lettuce to wrap them up
In a heavy frying pan, in a large skillet, melt the coconut oil.
Stir in the onions and some garlic and heat until translucent, just about 3 minutes.
Add the barbecue sauce, ketchup, and tomato sauce and mix well
Then add the apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, and red chili flakes
Allow the sauce to cook on low for 10 minutes
Add the cooked quinoa and beans, combine well and cook on low for 5 minutes
Lastly, you will add in the tomato paste mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes
If you want the sloppy joes thicker then you can add more tomato paste
To assemble, top each bun with the sloppy joe mixture and then top with shredded cheddar cheese and green onions.