Southern comfort food to warm the heart! Black Eye Peas Goes GREAT with hot water cornbread!! Use beef smoked sausage if you prefer.
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 2 hrs 10 mins
- Total: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Servings: 15
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 3 links hot beef link sausage, diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 cups water, or as needed
- 3 (16 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Place the smoked turkey leg, sausage, onion, garlic salt, black pepper, and seasoned salt into a large soup pot; pour in water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir the black-eyed peas into the soup, adding more water as needed to cover peas by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Again reduce heat and simmer until the peas are tender and have begun to break apart, about 1 more hour.
- Remove turkey bones and tendons from the turkey meat and discard the bones. Add sugar and simmer until the soup is slightly creamy and thickened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes
- Share 🙂