- 7 pickling cucumbers
- 1 white onion
- 3 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Slice the cucumbers and onion into thin slices In a large bowl, toss the cucumber and onion slices with the salt. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Transfer the cucumbers and onions to a colander and rinse off the salt. Drain excess water from the bowl and return the cucumber and onions to the bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and heat over medium-high heat just until the sugar has dissolved stirring continuously.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and onions and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, chill in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Use them within two months while keeping them stored in the fridge.