This homemade bread and butter pickle recipe is easy, delicious, and doesn’t require canning.
– 7 pickling cucumbers
– 1 white onion
– 3 tablespoons kosher salt
– 1 cup light brown sugar
– 1 cup white vinegar
– ½ cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 teaspoons celery seeds
– 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
– ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
– Slice the cucumbers and onion into thin slices and place in a large bowl and toss with the salt. cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
– Transfer the cucumbers and onions to a colander and rinse off the salt. Drain excess water from the bowl and put the cucumber and onions back in.
– In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegars, and spices and heat over medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the top of the sliced cucumbers and onions and allow the bowl to come to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator for 24 hours.