10 Facts about sausage:
- The word “sausage” comes from the latin word “salsus”, meaning “salted”. That’s because back in time people had no refrigerators and had to preserve the meat somehow. Creative, huh?
- Most sausages consist of pork or veal, which makes them great for those of you who like these types of meat. In case you’re a sausage lover, then we guess this info didn’t surprise you that much, right?!
- Let’s see if you know this one! When is the National Sausage pizza day? The date is on the tip of your tongue, but still can’t remember? It’s on 11th of October, so prepare yourself as there’s no time left!
- A very famous and beloved Greek stew is namely beans with sausage that locals call Fassolada me loukaniko. This food is so tasty and nutritious that it makes you feel at home no matter where you eat it. We have to admit those people know how to combine food!
- You probably know that most producers use intestines to stuff the sausages, but sometimes this outer casing can be synthetic. Not the best news, right?
- What do the legendary Greek author Homer and sausages have in common? Well, this type of food was first mentioned in Homer’s most famous work Odyssey more than 2700 years ago.
- Not only Homer was familiar with sausages, though. People used to eat them all the time during the Second World War.
- It’s been estimated that every day about 5 million British people consume sausages. What a number, right!?
- In addition to the previous point, statistics show that people eat the most sausages on Saturday.
- Even though it’s meat, some prefer sausages for breakfast, while others – for dinner. Data shows that 18% of the people worldwide eat them in the morning and 44% – in the evening.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- – 3 cloves garlic – minced
- – 1 lb raw shrimp deveined & shelled
- – kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- – A pinch of crushed red pepper or red pepper flakes
- – 1 teaspoon onion powder
- – 1 teaspoon paprika
- – ½ lb organic smoked sausage (nitrate-free) – sliced
FOR THE VEGGIES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- – 1 ¼ cup red bell pepper – diced
- – 1 cup asparagus – sliced
- – 2 cups zucchini – diced
- – 2 tablespoon vegetable broth
– In a bowl, upload shrimp, salt, pepper, purple pepper flakes, onion powder and paprika. Mix the whole lot nicely.
– In a cast iron skillet upload 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
– upload garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sauté for about 4 minutes or till shrimp is cooked via. Be careful to not overcook them, in any other case they will have a rubbery texture. Set aside.
– in the same skillet smoked sausage and cook dinner for 3-five minutes. Set aside.
– within the same skillet, upload 1 tablespoon of olive oil, all of the veggies and vegetable broth. Reduce the warmth to low-medium, near the skillet with a lid and permit the vegetables to cook dinner for two minutes. Stir from time to time and cook dinner for five-minute more or till the veggies are smooth.
– return shrimp and sausage again to the skillet and mix the whole lot nicely to combine.
– Garnish with clean parsley.