This is a keto version of the white chicken chili recipe made popular by Karen Celia Fox (she adapted it from The Kitchen for Exploring Foods caterers in Pasadena, California. The original recipe is fantastic!). The end result is a thick, creamy chili with chunks of sauteed and pulled chicken. Great for those cold winter nights! Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight for better flavor.
- 1 tablespoon oil, or as needed
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- Step 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Step 2Meanwhile, season chicken with chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook chicken in the skillet on 1 side for 5 minutes, resisting the urge to flip early. Turn and cook, turning occasionally to keep from burning, until no longer pink inside and juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool until safe to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred chicken using your fingers and set aside.
- Step 3Mix remaining 6 tablespoons butter, chicken broth, heavy cream, cream cheese, onion powder, cumin, and hot sauce together in a large, heavy pot. Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer; cook until butter and cream cheese are melted, about 5 minutes.
- Step 4Add shredded chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, and green chiles to the chili in the pot. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 591 calories; protein 31.8g; carbohydrates 5.2g; fat 49.6g; cholesterol 211.6mg; sodium 795mg.